Tuesday, April 7, 2015

To the Girl Who Didn't Get Asked to Prom

Perhaps this title isn't entirely fitting. I should have called it, "What makes you beautiful." But that sounds cliché. 
I wrote part of this from the strip in Las Vegas and another part in Newport Beach California and can I just say: I LOVE MORMON GIRLS! Ok I'm rambling done rambling now. 
Bad Kai. Stick to the script

To you lovely ladies who didn't get asked to Prom, I sincerely apologize. And to you who got asked by one of us simple minded creatures (aka: boys), I also apologize. I'm sure your mothers or your young women's leaders have told you that you are beautiful but perhaps it's about time you heard it from a boy. So for what it's worth. 
Here goes. 

Things that make a girl beautiful. 
True beauty comes from the inside out. The way she talks and laughs, or hangs back and watches. The way she throws parties or curls up in a quiet corner to read. Whoever she is, she is comfortable with herself (or as comfortable as one can reasonably be). 
She knows who she is and doesn't spend her time trying to be something else. She wears makeup but doesn't hide behind it. She applies herself to her art, whether it's a sport, dance, music or whatever it is that she enjoys. She works hard at it and loves it and so becomes good at it. 
She has high standards and keeps them for the right reasons. 

Many of these girls go largely unnoticed by the male population because we are too focused on the superficial. The outside, face value. The cover of the book. The cover is usually a good indication of the story inside but the cover is not the story. A good girl, a girl who's soul shines out of her eyes, a girl who's heart makes itself heard at the corners of her mouth, that is a beautiful girl. It is easy to spot a girl who just tries to be good. You can see it in her eyes. Perhaps her cover is worn and stained, the pages torn and faded. Some of the pages in her story may be burned a little at the edges from the fiery ending of a hard chapter but her story is no less beautiful. Her triumphs, failures and trials slowly bent and shaped her into a rose. A rose that can't be seen from the cover of the book. A rose who's petals are woven from flaws  and challenges that failed to cripple her.
 Beauty is not measured by the fairness of her skin but the depth of her soul. 
A pretty face will attract a crowd of boys but a rose will win her a knight. 
So when I study a girl, for that is what courting is, a chance for two people to study eachother, I let her eyes do the talking. I study what her eyes say. I study her heart.
In search of a rose. 

So to you girls who didn't get asked to Prom, please be patient with us boys as we learn to look for roses and read deeper than the cover of the book. I apologize for the fact that many of you mature sooner than we. 

Perhaps my interpretation of beauty is inaccurate. Perhaps this doesn't apply to all girls in general. Perhaps none of this actually makes any sense. 
Or perhaps I've been rambling about a certain rose I've found. 
Perhaps I'll rewrite this someday with her name on it. 
Perhaps. 

8 comments:

  1. Only one comment so far!?!? Kai, you're such a stud and this post made that even more evident. I want to do a post like this one. I loved how you wrote to a group. It made it more personal, so I'm noting that to myself. I liked the part about how a knight looks for roses. Haha LP metaphor! Also, I know you know this, but there are guys who don't only look for a good cover (aka us). And I also believe there are girls who are roses with good covers. Also, shoutout to that not hiding behind that makeup line! Dude, you're a stud. I wanna be like you! Ok bye now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a girl who's soul shines out of her eyes"

    "Beauty is not measured by the fairness of her skin but the depth of her soul."

    Too many lined. Wow this was so amazing. More humans should be like you. You rock Kai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We learn to look for roses<3 love it Kai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback guys!
    @Jacob Thanks for the thoughts! you make a very important point that I really wish I would have added in. You and @Tyler are some of the greatest studs I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much. This made my whole day. week. maybe month. beautiful writing. Also the words... you are an amazing boy. "A pretty face will attract a crowd of boys but a rose will win her a knight." I love this line. You just gave every girl hope in the male gender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sir are one of a rare bunch, and that is amazing. I agree with little red, you gave out hope in this post.

    ReplyDelete