Saturday, February 7, 2015

Logically

Logic.

Logic says that I need to be a politician. 
A lawyer. 
An engineer. 
A dentist.
A surgeon. 
A student. 
I must program myself to become something that will make a lot of money. Because money buys food. And food is batteries. Therefor, logic says that I need math and science and binders and notes and a haircut and college prep classes and to just forget my dreams so that I can fit in with all of the other kids that will be going to a college, getting a job and working so they can buy food. Logic tells me I shouldn't dream of cotton candy sheep or run through the forest barefoot or spend my time trying to invent the perfect pancake. 

Logic says I can't be anything other than a little, grey piece of paper in a grey, paper world. 

But what's life if I'm only a single digit in a hundred terabytes of other sad, unfulfilled people? We spend our lives worshiping this god of money because money tells you that it is your best friend and that you need a lot of it to be happy. Money tells you that you must give more time and attention to it than your friends, family or dreams. Money is made of numbers. Numbers mean statistics and business calculus. 
Pure logic.
But say I don't want to be a bit in a terabyte, a drop in the ocean, a little, grey piece of paper. Because I don't. I want to live, rather than just exist. I want to feel rather than calculate. I want to be noticed rather than just be seen. I want to be human. But not just another human, in a world full of humans. That would just make me a statistic. A grey piece of paper. A robot. Just like all the others.

I want to be an anomaly. Abnormal. Different. Weird. Myself. Human.

So what if it's illogical? Just because the other humans aren't doing it doesn't mean that you can't. In fact, I think you could become more human by pursuing things most other humans don't. That is a defining trait of humanity. Doing stuff that others can't or won't do. Whether that's being a better doctor, or just being a doctor with a very unique skill set. Or being a skydiving trainer or a volcano photographer. So long as you're not like the others. Unique, special, illogical even.


No comments:

Post a Comment