Saturday, March 28, 2015

Who am I? Yeah I don't really know either

Who Am I?

The truth is, I'm not entirely sure. I guess I'll get back to you on that.
If you are expecting some deep, artistic, thought out piece of writing then you will be disappointed. You are about to get a face-full of ME, not some deep, artistic, thought out piece of writing.
So who is this me person anyway?
For now let me introduce myself as the person who I think I am, as accurately as I can with my limited knowledge of myself.


I don't really fit the Lone Peak demographic. I'm not from Utah and I'm not a huge fan of city life (yeah I consider this a city. Weird, I know). I miss the giant trees in my yard, the beautiful sunsets that I enjoyed from my second story bedroom window and even the birds who built a nest in the roof right about my room and would always wake me up at some absurd hour of the morning with their squabbling. 

Also, I didn't get my Disney fix as a child. I grew up mostly on weird Japanese films instead and watched them while eating rice crackers, the floor littered with my little Ultraman figurines. Only later did I realize that normal Americans don't do that. I feel like I've been robbed of my childhood.

Half of the time, I have no idea what anyone is talking about. 

I sometimes wish I belonged, like everyone else. I sometimes wish I had grown up watching the same TV shows, listening to the same music, complaining about the same junior high teachers, enjoying the same rides at Disneyland and whatever else it is that normal Utah kids do. I wish I could be popular and cool. Maybe I will someday. Probably not. I dunno. 

But I do enjoy being different. 

I'm too white to be Japanese, I'm too Japanese to be white.
I'm a farm boy from Idaho but I drive like a Utard.
I don't belong anywhere and I don't care.
I love the city but I hate living in one. 
I love people. Especially female people.
I wish I was brown. 
I'm afraid of the cool kids just a little bit. 
I love old fiddles, guitars and things with strings. 
I can and will eat anything that holds still long enough. 
I've never kissed anyone. 
My name is originally Polynesian but it means a variety of things in different languages such as ocean, clams, food and puke. 
I am a photographer, not much of a writer and sometimes I play music. 
I believe that you only truly live when you don't let life happen to you. You happen to it. 
Oh goodness look it's midnight. I just hiked 7 miles, washed the dog, sat down to write this and now I'm boring you and rambling about life instead of introducing myself.
So if you must know, this is me. Sortof.


This is Facebook me. If you like Facebook me better, friend me on Facebook or Instagram.
My IG handle is life_of_ka1


This is Real Me. If you like Real Me better, add my blog to your reading list :)
(The other asian is my sister)

Oh yeah, and my name is Kai Johnson. Almost forgot.

8 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! KAI! Wuzzup? You're such a good human bean and I had no idea you were even one of the blogs on here! Can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you personally, but I've always enjoyed your blog! You've got some great stuff here and I look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  3. KAI!!! i honestly would have never guessed this blog was yours. but im glad its you!!! youre super talented at this blog thing and i cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your stuff and your comments! Thank you for writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're one of the good ones, Kai. I really appreciate your honesty. You're a better writer than you give yourself credit for. I love when you get up and read in class.

    "I'm too white to be Japanese, I'm too Japanese to be white."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kai!!! I never guess this would be you!! love your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. kai you make my day. seriously your blog is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kai!!! You are the coolest dude! Why the heck do you have to be so freaking good all the time at everything!

    ReplyDelete