Saturday, March 21, 2015

Letters from Home

My Old House: So I hear rumblings that my family is moving into your walls this coming Thursday?
My New House: You must be the nice, old farmhouse in Idaho! As a matter of fact they are. They say it's going to be a temporary arrangement. 
My Old House: Ah, I see. I do hope you take good care of them. They grew up here you know. They spent much of their time out in the yard chasing insects and climbing my trees. 
New House: Well you see, I don't have much of a yard to offer. It's more of a dirt patch with a fence really. This part of Utah is rather crowded. 
Old House: That's too bad. They raised goats, chickens, pigs and sheep here. Do you know if they plan to keep the dog?
New House: I hope not. The last tenant's dogs chewed the trim around all of the corners inside me. And I won't even mention what they did in the yard. 
Old House: Tough life eh, sonny? You live in a different world. You see out here, we don't have fancy things like sidewalks, cul de sacs or grocery stores nearby. You gotta travel for those kinds of things. And if you think dogs can make a mess of the garden then you should see what pigs can do. I'm afraid my family will have some adjusting to do in your area. 
New House: Wait you don't have sidewalks? I don't understand. Where did your family's kids ride their tricycles when they were growing up?
Old House: They didn't ride tricycles much. The only things to ride out here are bikes and four wheelers. I hear there are a lot of churches down where you are?
New House: Oh yes they're everywhere!
Old House: Good. There are a few here so that will help with the adjustment. 
New House: The new family just arrived! They don't seem terribly impressed.
Old House: It's hard to leave a home for a house.
New House: Yeah. Do you think they will ever change their minds?
Old House: Hard to say

Leaving home for a house. 
We all leave home at some point and exchange it for a place to live. 
But you never forget the place where you played out your childhood.

Home


6 comments:

  1. this made me ache for my old home. thanks for reminding me not to forget my home. i loved this new perspective! its fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was cool and different and I love the whole "house vs home" concept

    ReplyDelete
  3. K this idea rocked! And this line "leaving home for a house." So good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally stealing this idea.

    ReplyDelete