Wednesday, March 18, 2015

How to High School

I didn't write this for you. I wrote this for me. I wrote this because I just spent a very large portion of my day trying to please the gods of GPA instead of actually living life or spending time with people I love or going outside to see the sun. I wrote this because I'm mad and I need to remind myself why I still bow to the gods of tests, grades and GPA.

After all this time in the public education system, I have learned only a few things.
1: The zipper side of the pants is the front
2: I absolutely detest science
3: It is possible to perform an optical illusion on yourself to make your teacher's head disappear
4: Extreme boredom leads me to do stupid things, like make my teacher's head disappear

As far as I know, there are no career possibilities in the academic fields of science hating, pants wearing and professional extreme boredom so I begin to wonder what exactly I was supposed to learn in all this time I've spent wandering the halls of America's public education facilities.

So here's my uneducated little opinion on the matter of high school.
First of all, good grades don't mean you are a smart person. They mean you are just really good at being told what to do. I have met with a lot of really successful guys and I have yet to hear one of them say that passing chemistry is what got them where they are. In fact, quite a few of them never finished college. Because in the real world, knowing the difference between the anode and cathode end of an electrochemical equation is not nearly as important as knowing how to file a tax return or how to invest.
Good grades don't make you smart, they make you good at taking orders. That's not necessarily a bad thing for some folks but I don't plan to take orders for the rest of my life.
Good grades do look good on college applications though and are likely to bring you money in scholarships. That's where good grades are important. So you can tell colleges that you will be a good student.
There are very few classes in high school that pay dividends in actual useful knowledge or experience, this creative writing class definitely being one of them (Yeah Nelson, you rock).
One of the most important assets that can be gained in high school is a social network. A group of friends. A support group. A group that you love, and they love you. These are the people you can hang out with, support and draw support from. Life is so much easier when you can get help from friends. Most of the summer jobs I have gotten came from a friend or associate. It's a lot harder to land a job by just dropping a resume.
High school is awesome.
High school is easy compared to real life.
High school is still hard sometimes.
High school is NOT REAL LIFE.
I love high school
But I won't miss it

2 comments:

  1. "I love high school but I won't miss it"
    retweet fav like #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of wise words... Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete